Scone, apparently the correct pronunciation rhymes with John, is a biscuit like bread served with tea in England. I think most people in the US know what a scone is because they can find them in the pastry case at Starbucks. Accompanied with a hot cup of coffee or tea, scones make a delicious breakfast. However, if you prefer something super sweet with your coffee, you better opt for a muffin instead (or increase the sugar to 1/2 c). Scones are not super sweet, but with the addition of blueberries and almond extract they do pack a lot of flavor. Start brewing your coffee or tea and enjoy a tasty scone for a quick on-the-go breakfast or a nice sit down brunch.
Yield: 12 scones
2 3/4 c AP Flour
1/3 c sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 T baking powder
8 T cold butter
1 pint blueberries, dusted with flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract(I think lemon would be good too)
2/3 c half & half
1. Stir together all dry ingredients.
2. With a pastry blender cut in cold butter, it is alright if some chunks remain.
3. Stir in blueberries. In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, being careful not to “pop” any blueberries.
5. On a parchment lined cookie sheet divide dough into two rounds. About 6 inches across, 1 inch thick. Moisten the tops of the rounds with a little brushed on milk, and sprinkle with a little sugar.
6. Using a cold knife cut each round into 6 triangles. Carefully pull the triangles apart, so there is a 1/2 inch space between each.
7. Put cookie sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, bake scones for 25 minutes, or until baked all the way through.
They are delicious served warm. ENJOY!
Others who are talking about scones:
Pinch My Salt: Buttermilk Cranberry Scones
Karina’s Kitchen: Strawberry-Chocolate Chip Scones (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Cranberry Scones
Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy: Apple Cheddar Scones Sounds Yummy!
Vegan Eats!: Hungry Girl’s Snazzy Blueberry Scones
101 Cookbooks: Raspberry Mega Scones