Lemonade

As the temperature increases so does my desire for a ice cold refreshing beverage. Squeezing lemons for some fresh lemonade was a wonderful way to get my little ladies involved in the kitchen, they were so excited to try the lemonade they made “all by themselves.” My oldest daughter has told me several times this week that we need to go back to the store to get more lemons so we can make lemonade again. If lemon and lime trees could survive in Nebraska I would be in lemonade and margarita heaven.

This is a perfect recipe to get your children involved in the kitchen. Don’t worry if any seeds get into the measuring cup you can always strain them out. While your child/children are busy squeezing lemons you can make the simple syrup. We will be making this lemonade countless times this summer.

Has anyone tried making lemonade using agave syrup instead of sugar? If so please let me know.

IMG_5414-1

LEMONADE
1 c sugar (use more or less depending on your preference)
1 c water
1c fresh squeezed lemon juice* (it took us 6 lemons)
1 qt cold water (less or more depending on flavor preference)

Heat 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water until sugar is dissolved.Turn off and let cool.

Roll lemons between your palm and the counter top to release the juices or pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Squeeze lemons until you have 1 cup of lemon juice. Strain lemon seeds from the juice.

In a pitcher stir together lemon juice and sugar mixture. Add 1 quart cold water until you achieve a tart/sweet flavor your family enjoys. Serve over ice. ENJOY!

*You could substitute equal parts lime juice for a delicious limeade

Posted in Beverage | Tagged as: , , , , | 8 Comments

8 Responses to Lemonade

1. mom says:

Didn’t that jar used to be mine? Didn’t it come with green beans, pasta or pizza sauce? : )

2. Denise says:

Oh I love good lemonade! I’ll have to try it with agave or maple syrup, but I bet it’s perfect with the simple syrup. There’s a vendor at the Des Moines farmers market that makes lavender lemonade, I’d love to experiment with herbs in the syrup! (ginger, basil? yum!)

3. Abby says:

I love that photo! So cute! And I have a bottle of agave syrup to use, too. I hope someone fills us in on how to use it in lemonade!

4. Tim says:

Zest 1 lemon
    1 C water
    Bring water and zest to slow simmer then turn off the heat and cool.
    2-3 T agave nectar
    Juice 1 lemon
    3 C cold water
    Mix the lemon water, agave, lemon juice and the water in a shaker with ice.
    Enjoy!

5. Christy says:

We love using raw honey for our lemonade. No need to cook like sugar…just shake or stir vigorously until dissolved :)

6. I love homemade lemonade! I agree with Denise that herbed lemonade is awesome. I planted some lavender this spring specifically for lemonade!

7. dana says:

apparently agave is no longer a good thing. this article links it to obesity and says it’s worse the high fructose corn syrup: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html