Grab and go breakfasts that also doubles as an afternoon snack are big winners at my house. These banana muffins are great for breakfast but if you’re feeling like you need a little afternoon pick me up these muffins will fit the bill. Bonus is that they are only 125 calories! They are low in sugar and have only two tablespoons of butter in the entire recipe. Substituting applesauce for the oil/butter makes them healthier and really moist.
Recently on my Facebook page I did an informal poll asking whether chocolate chips in banana bread was a yay or nay. I was surprised to see so many people are not fans of chocolate chips in their banana bread. Honestly I can’t blame you, chocolate chips in banana bread aren’t really my thing either. Now chocolate banana muffins are a completely different thing. A delicious thing. I hope you give this recipe a shot.
This recipe makes 12 muffins, I just had three very hungry children that couldn’t wait to have a taste.
CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
makes 12 muffins
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with cooking oil or line with cupcake liners
2. In mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until smooth
3. Add in bananas, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla. Mix until combined
4. Mix in flour, cocoa powder, soda, and salt until just combined
5. Scoop muffin mix into prepared pans
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean
7. Cool for 5 minutes in pans before transferring to cooling rack