How was your weekend? I had a lovely low key weekend. We enjoyed a dinner consisting of appetizers with a small group of friends. Let me repeat: Dinner. Of. Appetizers. Seriously this is like my favorite thing ever. Do you ever have fun dinners with family or friends? The rest of the weekend we hunkered down and stayed cozy. We actually got our first snow that is here to stay this weekend. I’m excited because I actually really do enjoy the changes of the different seasons. Ask me in March and see how much I still love the snow though
If you enjoy cheese and beer this is your lucky day because I have a winning recipe combining both ingredients. This rich and creamy beer cheese soup is perfect for the coldest and snowiest days Old Man Winter can throw at us this winter. I love it because I get to enjoy the light beer flavor since I won’t be able to enjoy my next adult beverage until summer.
If you’re a cheese snob you are just going to need to suck it up for this soup. Save your good cheese and serve it at your next dinner party of only appetizers. A combination of sharp cheddar and hunk of deli counter American cheese make for a rich, smooth, and creamy soup. The American cheese helps keep the cheddar creamy when melted. Ask that they cut off a four ounce hunk. You don’t want the pre-sliced American cheese here.
The soup is topped Wisconsin style with popcorn. I thought my kiddos would get a kick out of popcorn in their soup. Alex and I enjoyed our soup with some soft pretzel rolls. Sister Schubert’s Pretzel Rolls can be found in the freezer section at the store. They are out of this world, highly addictive, and incredibly convenient. Homemade pretzel rolls have moved to the top of my “must make” list. Do you have a list like this? What is on it?
BEER CHEESE SOUP
Serves: 6 Time: 45 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped fine
2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup flour
1-¾ cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) beer (I used Samuel Adams Boston Lager)
2 cups low-fat milk
8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounces American cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter, cook onions and carrots begin lightly browning. About 10 minutes
2. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook until it begins to turn golden brown. Should only take a minute.
3. Whisk in chicken broth, beer, and milk. When soup starts to simmer turn down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
4. Place the American cheese in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before shredding it
5. Shred cheddar cheese and American cheese. Toss with cornstarch to prevent clumping.
6. Puree soup in blender (in batches) until smooth. Be careful to not over fill blender and be conscious that the soup is VERY hot! Return to pot.
7. Stir in small handfuls of cheese until all cheese has been added and soup in smooth and creamy Add salt and pepper if necessary.
I used the leftover soup to make beer cheese macaroni and cheese. It was pretty amazing.