Happy Friday! We have survived the first week of the new year –yay! If you were hit with the Arctic/polar vortex this week I hope you are thawing out. Do you love chocolate covered strawberries because these decadent rolls were inspired by them. And I promise if you love chocolate, Nutella specifically, + strawberries you will love these rolls.
As a food blogger I am trying to stay current with the next food celebration/holiday on the horizon. Valentine’s day seems to be a pretty chocolate-sentric food holiday and I know these rolls will make an appearance on Valentine’s day for my littlest Valentine’s. Kasper licked the plate clean. He even said “so so so yummy mommy.” Which to be honest is a compliment of the highest regard.
“These sound fantastic, but Jamie I am afraid of bread baking.” No worries! I cheated and took a major short cut that you will love. I grabbed a loaf of frozen bread dough (I used Rhodes brand white bread which I love, use whatever you can find). Set the frozen loaf of bread out when you go to bed and it will be ready to work with in the morning. In the morning roll out the dough to make a large rectangle (9 inches x 15 inches), spread warmed Nutella over the dough, top with chopped fresh strawberries, roll up, and slice into rolls. Pop them into the oven and in about 25 minutes you will be in chocolate strawberry heaven!
Tips: When cutting the dough use dental floss for a nice clean cut
*cut roll in half to create 2 sections of dough, cut those in half to create 4 sections, and those in half to create 8 roll in total
NUTELLA STRAWBERRY ROLLS
1 loaf frozen bread dough
1 cup warm Nutella
1-1/2 cup chopped strawberries
For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1-2 tablespoons milk, depending on icing consistency
1. The night before set out frozen bread dough to thaw out, according to package directions.
2. In the morning preheat oven to 350 degrees F
3. Lightly flour your work space, roll out dough to a large rectangle, mine was about 9x15in
4. Spread warmed Nutella over dough and top with chopped strawberries
5. Starting at long end of dough roll the dough, pinching dough to seal the end
6. Cut out 8 rolls
7. Place in greased pie plate or 8×8 baking dish.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown
9. Allow to cool while mixing the icing
Directions for the icing:
1. In small bowl mix together all ingredients until smooth.
2. Pour over rolls